Initiatives and ideas to help plan daily life
Music Interventions and Activities in Long Term Care workshop
Contributed by: Folklore Music / Jim Arnold, Registered Music Therapist
Music Interventions and Activities in Long Term Care is a free workshop being offered on Saturday, January 9, 2021 from 10:30 – 11:30 am EST. Held on a Zoom meeting platform, it promises to be an engaging, interactive, and fun way for you to learn musical strategies to make your job easier and your residents happier and healthier.
Click here to log in (pre-registration is not required, but you are asked to sign in at 10:25 am est)
Contributed by: National Consumer Voice for Quality Long Term Care
The team at Consumer Voice recognizes the importance for residents to stay engaged and active while visitation is limited and the need for activities to change in order to accommodate safe physical distancing.
To help with this, they invite you share and enjoy the activities in the workbook, Staying Connected Enrichment Activities. It is full of ideas and tools to support staying entertained, active and connected!
Contributed by: Linked Senior
An initiative put together by the team at Linked Senior to support communities and Activity Professionals
Activity Director Resources: Ideas from the Experts
Contributed by: NCCAP
Long-term care communities and their Activity / Life Enrichment Departments are being affected by the COVID-19 virus by having to limit group programming. NCCAP would like to share the following resources for in-room activity programming.
Preference Assessment | Honoring Resident Preferences During Quarantine
Contributed by: PELI
How to Communicate Effectively While Wearing a Mask (20 minute video)
Contributed by: Angie McAllister, Signature Healthcare
The team at Signature Healthcare formed a Signature Super Hero League to defeat the villains of loneliness, helplessness and boredom that COVID-19 has left in its wake! They asked all of their communities to join the Elders in a summer-long initiative to create their personal superhero identity! Each week they provided a Creative Challenge packet to download and share with families! They encouraged everyone to share their work with the communities and beyond.
Summer may be over, but what a great idea – one that can be replicated or can be the start of an idea in your community.
Total Brain Health
Contributed by: Cynthia Green
Resources for Activity Directors
Contributed by: Baillie Hillman, OTR, CDP, CADDCT
Ballie invited you to join an Activity Directors Facebook group where you can share ideas with fellow activity Directors. And check out her Covid 19 Free Resource Guide which gives you all the resources you need to create and implement fun activities for your residents.
Launching next week: Weekly Compass – a new activity resource each week. If you sign up, you can then watch your email for more information.
Contributed by: Juniper Communities
Virtual Connections is a hub for teams, individuals, senior living residents and families to access free activity and entertainment resources. As individuals and communities practice “stay at home” and no-visitor access as a response to COVID-19, the leaders at Juniper Communities and LTC REIT have gathered these resources for all to enjoy!
Blog Articles with Fun Things to Do
Contributed by: Eversound
- 10 Hallway Games for Physical distancing that Aren’t Bingo
- Keeping Residents Engaged during Coronavirus:
- 5 Ways to Play Bingo During Social Distancing:
- Free Animal Themed Packet for Residents (22 pages of activities):
Continuing Engagement During Precautionary Isolation
Contributed by: iN2L
Contributed by: Music & Memory
Webinar in which certified Music & Memory organizations shared ideas and updates regarding best practices for providing personalized music during this crisis, including methods for quickly starting a Music & Memory program, hygiene standards, music discovery in the age of social distancing, and additional support options and materials for immediate use.
Click here to watch the recorded webinar
Click here and look under AVAILABLE RESOURCES to access downloadable lists of free genre-based playlist
Click here to request a free guide, How to Make a Personalized Playlist for a Loved One
Ideas from the Field
Contributed by: Senior Living forecast
Check out Steve Moran’s interview with Jamisyn Becker, Life Enrichment Manager, John Knox Village Florida on “Crushing the Life Enrichment Challenge in the Face of Covid-19”.
A list of ideas supporting engagement in your community, contributed by the experts in the field, it could be you!
Contributed by: Jennie Dill, Life Engagement Specialist, Anthem Memory Care, Aurora, Colorado
- Pen Pals virtual or snail mail
- Video diaries from high school students – emphasis on asking elders for advice and input
- Daily text/photo updates to families – Elders/families divided up amongst leadership team members to keep this communication manageable
- Skype virtual activities – play an instrument, tell jokes, read a story, lead a bible study, canvas and cocktails, cooking demo, etc. Partnering with our intergenerational communities as well as encouraging and empowering families to provide this engagement for their loved ones. (sending ideas and sign-up sheet through SignUpGenius)
- Multiplayer games – virtual Wii tournaments, multiplayer online games (hangman, tic tac toe, crossword puzzles, etc.),
- Collaborative TimeSlips virtual story telling
- Virtual Music! Skype concerts, Drumming & Rhythm Circle, youth recitals
- Scenic Drives/Sightseeing Tours (our Elders, our staff, our van, no social contact).
- Students doing a virtual tour of their campus/homes via FaceTime, GoPro
- I have a group coming dressed up as superheroes to clean the windows on the outside of our community, pick up trash, etc.
- Ramping up Facebook posts for our community to keep family and friends informed about the great things happening within our community while they are not able to visit
Watch this 3-minute video where Jennie shares some of the things being done to support engagement
Let’s Talk about Person-Centered Care During Pandemic
Contributed by: Attendees at the Planetree Webinar
Strategies for Turning Social Distancing into Social Engagement
Contributed by: Carmen Bowman, Regulator turned Educator, Edu-Catering: Catering Education for Compliance and Culture Change
Exercise Video and Wellness
Contributed by: Spiro100 & Brilliant Aging
Programs and resources to support wellness activities
Life Enriching Activities During Isolation
Contributed by: NCCAP
Activity Professionals share how-to’s and ideas.
Resources from Sounds Affects Music
Contributed by: Hanna Doreen Brown
Some great YouTube playlists that might give the effect of live music in your community.
Simple is Best
Contributed by: Jennifer Brush, MA, CCC/SLP
Three favorite Montessori materials for engaging elders: Three-part cards, reading aloud, and polishing household items.