A Culture of Aging that is Life-Affirming, Satisfying, Humane and Meaningful
Pioneer Network supports models where elders live in open, diverse, caring communities. In-depth change in systems requires change in governmental policy and regulation; change in the individual’s and society’s attitudes toward aging and elders; change in elders’ attitudes towards themselves and their aging; and change in the attitudes and behavior of caregivers toward those for whom they care. We refer to this work as culture change. Our aim is nothing less than transforming the culture of aging in America.
Empowering a network of senior living and care communities by fostering person-directed practices and environments.
Growing older presents limitless opportunities to pursue joy and meaning wherever we call community. Aging is the path to life-long learning, growth and connection regardless of changes we face. Pioneer Network is working to bury stereotypical views and combat ageism. Helping others understand and experience life in a fulfilling way creates a culture of care and support we all desire. Let’s celebrate the virtues of aging together!
Our Values and Principles
- Know each person
- Each person can and does make a difference
- Relationship is the fundamental building block of a transformed culture
- Respond to spirit, as well as mind and body
- Risk taking is a normal part of life
- Put person before task
- All elders are entitled to self-determination wherever they live
- Community is the antidote to institutionalization
- Do unto others as you would have them do unto you
- Promote the growth and development of all
- Shape and use the potential of the environment in all its aspects: physical, organizational, psycho/social/spiritual
- Practice self-examination, searching for new creativity and opportunities for doing better
- Recognize that culture change and transformation are not destinations but a journey, always a work in progress
Download a copy of our Vision, Mission and Values Card